[A version of this item appears in: Dementia and Elderly Care: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (RWHT), Volume 3 Issue 3, October 2012].
Each month a large number of journal articles, including systematic reviews and meta-analyses, are examined during creation of the “Dementia: the Latest Evidence” newsletter. It is impractical to include all of these articles in any given month’s newsletter. A brief list is given below of some of the more worthy publications which were considered for, but not included in, Volume 2 Issue 12, July 2012 or Volume 3 Issue 1, August 2012. Full credit should go to Medline / PubMed as the source of these bibliographic citations and abstracts.
- Russ, TC. Stamatakis, E. Hamer, M. [et al]. Association between psychological distress and mortality: individual participant pooled analysis of 10 prospective cohort studies. BMJ. July 31st 2012; 345: e4933. Full Text Link.
- Santangeli, P. Di Biase, L. Bai, R. [et al]. Atrial fibrillation and the risk of incident dementia: a meta-analysis. Heart Rhythm: the Official Journal of the Heart Rhythm Society. August 1st 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Reuther, S. Dichter, MN. Buscher, I. [et al]. Case conferences as interventions dealing with the challenging behavior of people with dementia in nursing homes: a systematic review. International Psychogeriatrics: IPA. August 10th 2012: 1-13. [Epub ahead of print].
- Keage, HA. Churches, OF. Kohler, M. [et al]. Cerebrovascular function in aging and dementia: a systematic review of transcranial doppler studies. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders Extra. January 2012; 2(1): 258-270. Epub June 29th 2012. Full Text Link.
- Procter, E. Collaboration between the specialties in provision of end-of-life care for all in the UK: reality or utopia? International Journal of Palliative Nursing. July 2012; 18(7): 339-47.
- Knapp, M. Iemmi, V. Romeo, R. Dementia care costs and outcomes: a systematic review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. August 12th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gao, Y. Huang, C. Zhao, K. [et al]. Depression as a risk factor for dementia and mild cognitive impairment: a meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. July 19th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Baker, LD. Barsness, SM. Borson, S. [et al]. Effects of growth hormone-releasing hormone on cognitive function in adults with mild cognitive impairment and healthy older adults: results of a controlled trial. Archives of Neurology. August 6th 2012: 1-10. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- Hopper, T. Bourgeois, M. Pimentel, J. [et al]. An evidence-based systematic review on cognitive interventions for individuals with dementia. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. July 30th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Loef, M. Walach, H. Fruit, vegetables and prevention of cognitive decline or dementia: a systematic review of cohort studies. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. 2012; 16(7): 626-30.
- Costanza, A. Xekardaki, A. Kövari, E. [et al]. Microvascular burden and alzheimer-type lesions across the age spectrum. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease: JAD. July 27th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Qiu, C. Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease by Targeting Vascular Risk Factors: Hope and Gap. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease: JAD. July 27th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Tannenbaum, C. Paquette, A. Hilmer, S. [et al]. A systematic review of amnestic and non-amnestic mild cognitive impairment induced by anticholinergic, antihistamine, GABAergic and opioid drugs. Drugs & Aging. August 1st 2012; 29(8): 639-58.
- Lischka, AR. Mendelsohn, M. Overend, T. [et al]. A systematic review of screening tools for predicting the development of dementia. Canadian Journal on Aging. August 9th 2012: 1-17. [Epub ahead of print].
- Spector, A. Orrell, M. Goyder, J. A systematic review of staff training interventions to reduce the behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia. Ageing Research Reviews. July 20th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gan, EH. Pearce, SH. The thyroid in mind: cognitive function and low thyrotropin in older people. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. August 3rd 2012. [Epub ahead of print].