In regard to Japan’s National Dementia Strategy, the following list summarises the range of inter-connected strategies which are being promoted:
- Improving the understanding of the realities faced by patients with dementia.
- Epidemiological surveys concerning incidence rate and prevalence rate.
- Promoting research/development which focuses on dementia.
- Introducing preventive measures against dementia.
- Improving diagnostic technologies.
- Developing therapeutic procedures.
- Providing appropriate care after onset.
- Implementation of measures toward early diagnoses of dementia and provision of appropriate medical treatment.
- Facilitation / dissemination of dementia care guidelines.
- Strengthening the framework in which Dementia Medical Centers play a central role.
- Dissemination of accurate information on appropriate care for dementia and support patients / family caregivers.
- Dissemination of accurate information on appropriate care.
- Standardisation / enhancement of dementia care.
- Promotion of better coordination between health and social care to facilitate early diagnosis of dementia (education for primary care physicians).
- Support for patients with dementia/their family caregivers.
- Dissemination of information on treatment, care, and community resources available for patients with dementia and their family caregivers.
- Promotion of a 10-year nationwide public campaign “to understand dementia and build community networks”.
- Promotion of dissemination of information on dementia for students in elementary and secondary schools.
- Preparation of a framework that allows for consultation accessible to patients with dementia and their family caregivers.
- Developing support measures specifically for patients with early onset dementia.
- Establishing avenues for consultation on behalf of patients with early onset dementia.
- Formation of a support system which meets the needs of patients with early onset dementia and their family caregivers.
- Developing employment support for patients with early onset dementia and their family caregivers.
- Dissemination of information to the general public on early onset dementia.
Arai, Y. Arai, A. Mizuno, Y. (2010). The national dementia strategy in Japan. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, September 2010, Vol.25(9), pp.896-9. [Access requires a subscription to the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry].