This handbook of data definitions clarifies the technical detail of each measure in the Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF), with worked examples. The purpose of this handbook is to enable consistency in reporting and data interpretation.
The ASCOF will help indicate of the strengths / weaknesses of social care nationally and success / failure in delivering better outcomes for people who use services. The Government will thereby be better able to report progress to the public and to Parliament.
ASCOF also has a role to play in the “benchmarking” of commissioned services and comparison between areas, to enable councils compare their results with others and discuss alternative policy approaches with greater objectivity.
Definition templates are provided for a wide range of “outcome measures”, some of which (of relevance to this newsletter) include:
- Social care-related quality of life.
- The proportion of people who use services who have control over their daily life.
- Proportion of people using social care who receive self-directed support, and those receiving direct payments.
- Carer-reported quality of life.
- Permanent admissions to residential and nursing care homes, per 100,000 population.
- Proportion of older people (65 and over) who were still at home 91 days after discharge from hospital into reablement / rehabilitation services.
- Delayed transfers of care from hospital, and those which are attributable to adult social care.
- Overall satisfaction of people who use services with their care and support.
- Overall satisfaction of carers with social services.
- The proportion of carers who report that they have been included or consulted in discussion about the person for whom they care.
- The proportion of people who use services and carers who find it easy to find information about services.
- The proportion of people who use services who feel safe.
- The proportion of people who use services who say that those services have made them feel safe and secure.
Note: An updated version of this handbook appeared in March 2012; see Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework: Handbook of Definitions v.3 (Department of Health).
Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework: Handbook of Definitions. Version 2. London: Department of Health, November 2011. Gateway Reference No. 16814.