[A version of this item appears in: Dementia and Elderly Care: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (RWHT), Volume 3 Issue 3, October 2012].
Each month a large number of journal articles, including systematic reviews and meta-analyses, are examined. Here are some further citations for the more notable of these to be published, or to have come to our attention, in recent weeks. Full credit should go to Medline / PubMed as the source of these bibliographic citations and abstracts.
The Bibliographic Citations
- Hebert-Davies, J. Laflamme, GY. Rouleau, D. HEALTH and FAITH investigators. Bias towards dementia: are hip fracture trials excluding too many patients? A systematic review. Injury. September 19th 2012. pii: S0020-1383(12)00372-5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Clevenger, CK. Chu, TA. Yang, Z. [et al]. Clinical care of persons with dementia in the emergency department: a review of the literature and agenda for research. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. September 2012; 60(9): 1742-8
- Muayqil, T. Gronseth, G. Camicioli, R. Evidence-based guideline: diagnostic accuracy of CSF 14-3-3 protein in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. September 19th 2012. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- Möhler, R. Richter, T. Köpke, S. [et al]. Interventions for preventing and reducing the use of physical restraints in long-term geriatric care: a Cochrane review. Journal of Clinical Nursing. September 14th 2012. [Epub ahead of print]. This relates to: Möhler, R. Richter, T. Köpke, S. [et al]. Interventions for preventing and reducing the use of physical restraints in long-term geriatric care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online). February 16th 2011; Issue 2: No. CD007546. Review. Full Text Link.
- Lin, PY. Chiu, CC. Huang, SY. [et al]. A meta-analytic review of polyunsaturated fatty acid compositions in dementia. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. August 7th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwarz, S. Froelich, L. Burns, A. Pharmacological treatment of dementia. Current Opinion in Psychiatry. September 20th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Volkert, J. Schulz, H. Härter, M. [et al]. The prevalence of mental disorders in older people in Western countries: a meta-analysis. Ageing Research Reviews. September 18th 2012. pii: S1568-1637(12)00140-7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Koyama, A. O’Brien, J. Weuve, J. [et al]. The role of peripheral inflammatory markers in dementia and alzheimer’s disease: a meta-analysis. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. September 14th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Hall, WJ. Telemonitoring did not reduce hospitalizations or ED visits in high-risk elderly patients. Annals of Internal Medicine. September 18th 2012; 157(6): JC3-8. The full text is available via Athens.
- Balion, C. Griffith, LE. Strifler, L. [et al]. Vitamin D, cognition, and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurology. September 25th 2012; 79(13): 1397-405.