[A version of this item features in Dementia: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust), Volume 3 Issue 4, November 2012].
The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) guide “Commitment to the care of people with dementia in general hospitals” highlights innovative practice in NHS hospitals. The RCN’s accompanying online “best practice gallery” gives concrete examples of hospitals which have implemented the principles outlined in the “Make SPACE for good dementia care” commitment.
Note: The SPACE principles are used as the overall key for organising the example hospitals listed below. The RCN arrangement is used for convenience, although (obviously) the hospitals listed here do demonstrate work complying with the other aspects of the Commitment too. The “New Cross Hospital Dementia Care Bundle”, for example, strives to transcend narrow categorisation by adopting a holistic approach to dementia care in acute settings.
Staff Need to be Informed, Skilled and Have Enough Time to Care
- Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust.
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Royal Edinburgh Hospital.
- The Butterfly Scheme.
Family Carers and Friends are Partners in Care
Dementia Assessments, to Support Early Identification and Appropriate Care
- Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board.
- Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.
- South Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust.
Care Plans will be Person-Centred, Individualised and Support Nutrition, Dignity, Comfort, Continence, Rehabilitation, Activity and Palliative Care
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust.
- St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospital NHS Trust.
Environments will be Dementia-Friendly and Support Independence and Well-Being
- Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.
RCN Website. (2012). Dementia – best practice examples: commitment to the care of people with dementia in hospital settings. London: Royal College of Nursing, October 2012.