[A version of this collection appears in: Dementia and Elderly Care: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (RWHT), Volume 3 Issue 3, October 2012].
Each month a large number of journal articles, including systematic reviews and meta-analyses, are examined. Here is a recent selection.
The Bibliographic Citations
- Hippisley-Cox, J. Coupland, C. (2012). Derivation and validation of updated QFracture algorithm to predict risk of osteoporotic fracture in primary care in the United Kingdom: prospective open cohort study. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), July 7th 2012, Vol.344(7864), e3427. Full Text Link.
- Saltvedt, I. Prestmo, A. Einarsen, E. [et al]. Development and delivery of patient treatment in the Trondheim Hip Fracture Trial. A new geriatric in-hospital pathway for elderly patients with hip fracture. BMC Research Notes. July 16th 2012; 5: 355. Full Text Link.
- Watts, NB. Adler, RA. Bilezikian, JP. [et al]. Osteoporosis in men: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. June 2012; 97(6): 1802-22.
- Liao, L. Zhao, Jm. Su, W. [et al]. A meta-analysis of total hip arthroplasty and hemiarthroplasty outcomes for displaced femoral neck fractures. Archives of Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery. July 2012; 132(7): 1021-9. Full Text Link.
- Bischoff-Ferrari, HA. Willett, WC. Orav, EJ. [et al]. A pooled analysis of vitamin D dose requirements for fracture prevention. The New England Journal of Medicine. July 5th 2012; 367(1): 40-9.
- Sandhu, A. Sanders, S. Geraci, SA. Prognostic value of cardiac troponins in elderly patients with hip fracture: a systematic review. Osteoporosis International. August 21st 2012. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- Oderda, LH. Young, JR. Asche, CV. [et al]. Psychotropic-related hip fractures: meta-analysis of first-generation and second-generation antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. July – August 2012; 46(7-8): 917-28. Full Text Link.
- Shoda, N. Yasunaga, H. Horiguchi, H. [et al]. Risk factors affecting inhospital mortality after hip fracture: retrospective analysis using the Japanese Diagnosis Procedure Combination Database. BMJ Open. May 4th 2012 ;2(3). pii: e000416. Full Text Link.
- Burgers, PT. Van Geene, AR. Van den Bekerom, MP. [et al]. Total hip arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the healthy elderly: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized trials. International Orthopaedics. August 2012; 36(8): 1549-60. Full Text Link.