[A version of this collection appears in: Dementia and Elderly Care: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (RWHT), Volume 3 Issue 3, October 2012].
Every month a large number of journal articles, including systematic reviews and meta-analyses, are examined. Here is a recent selection.
The Bibliographic Citations
- Parsons, M. Senior, HE. Kerse, N. [et al]. The Assessment of Services Promoting Independence and Recovery in Elders Trial (ASPIRE): a pre-planned meta-analysis of three independent randomised controlled trial evaluations of ageing in place initiatives in New Zealand. Age and Ageing. August 22nd 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rizos, EC. Ntzani, EE. Bika, E. [et al]. Association between omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and risk of major cardiovascular disease events: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. September 12th 2012; 308(10): 1024-33. Review.
- Lynch, J. Belgaumkar, A. Bariatric surgery is effective and safe in patients over 55: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Surgery. September 2012; 22(9): 1507-16. Full Text Link.
- Ugolini, D. Neri, M. Cesario, A. [et al]. A bibliometric analysis of literature in cerebrovascular and cardiovascular diseases rehabilitation: growing numbers, reducing impact factor. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. August 23rd 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Tappenden, P. Campbell, F. Rawdin, A. [et al]. The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of home-based, nurse-led health promotion for older people: a systematic review. Health Technology Assessment. 2012; 16(20): 1-72. Review. Full Text Link. Executive Summary.
- Fejer R, Leboeuf-Yde C. Does back and neck pain become more common as you get older? A systematic literature review. Chiropractic & Manual Therapies. August 10th 2012; 20(1): 24. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- Lam, FM. Lau, RW. Chung, RC. [et al]. The effect of whole body vibration on balance, mobility and falls in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Maturitas. July 2012; 72(3): 206-13.
- Patel, NK. Newstead, AH. Ferrer, RL. The effects of yoga on physical functioning and health related quality of life in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. August 21st 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Logan, IC. Witham, MD. Efficacy of treatments for orthostatic hypotension: a systematic review. Age Ageing. September 2012; 41(5): 587-94.
- Dong, X. Chen, R. Chang, ES. [et al]. Elder abuse and psychological well-being: a systematic review and implications for research and policy – a mini review. Gerontology. 2012 Aug 24. [Epub ahead of print].
- Reid, WD. Yamabayashi, C. Goodridge, D. [et al]. Exercise prescription for hospitalized people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and comorbidities: a synthesis of systematic reviews. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2012; 7: 297-320. Full Text Link.
- Peel NM, Kuys SS, Klein K. Gait speed as a measure in geriatric assessment in clinical settings: a systematic review. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2012 Aug 24. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kendrick, D. Young, B. Mason-Jones, AJ. [et al]. Home safety education and provision of safety equipment for injury prevention. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online). September 12th 2012; Issue 9: No. CD005014. Full Text Link.
- Harrison, EM. O’Neill, S. Meurs, TS. [et al]. Hospital volume and patient outcomes after cholecystectomy in Scotland: retrospective, national population based study. BMJ. May 23rd 2012; 344: e3330. Full Text Link.
- Grailey, K. Markar, SR. Karthikesalingam, A. [et al]. Laparoscopic versus open colorectal resection in the elderly population. Surgical Endoscopy. June 30th 2012. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- Marjoribanks, J. Farquhar, C. Roberts, H. [et al]. Long term hormone therapy for perimenopausal and postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online). July 11th 2012; Issue 7: No. CD004143. Review. Full Text Link.
- Schouten, HJ. van Ginkel, S. Koek, HL. [et al]. Non-diagnosis decisions and non-treatment decisions in elderly patients with cardiovascular diseases, do they differ? – a systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. October 2012; 13(8): 682-7.
- Wilkinson, D. Sakel, M. Camp, SJ. [et al]. Patients with hemispatial neglect are more prone to limb spasticity, but this does not prolong their hospital stay. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. July 2012; 93(7): 1191-5.
- Bernstein, M. Munoz, N. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: food and nutrition for older adults: promoting health and wellness. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. August 2012; 112(8): 1255-77.
- Neidrick, TJ. Fick, DM. Loeb, SJ. Physical activity promotion in primary care targeting the older adult. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. July 2012; 24(7): 405-16.
- Coelho, FG. Gobbi, S. Andreatto, CA. [et al]. Physical exercise modulates peripheral levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF): a systematic review of experimental studies in the elderly. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. June 29th 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Collard, RM. Boter, H. Schoevers, RA. [et al]. Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons: a systematic review. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. August 2012; 60(8): 1487-92.
- Macchia, A. Romero, M. Comignani, PD. [et al]. Previous prescription of β-blockers is associated with reduced mortality among patients hospitalized in intensive care units for sepsis*. Critical Care Medicine. October 2012; 40(10): 2768-72. Full text is available via Athens.
- St Germaine-Smith, C. Metcalfe, A. Pringsheim, T. [et al]. Recommendations for optimal ICD codes to study neurologic conditions: A systematic review. Neurology. September 4th 2012; 79(10): 1049-55.
- Zaslavsky, O. Thompson, H. Demiris, G. The role of emerging information technologies in frailty assessment. Research in Gerontological Nursing. July 2012; 5(3): 216-28. Review.
- Dewan, SK. Zheng, SB. Xia, SJ. [et al]. Senescent remodeling of the immune system and its contribution to the predisposition of the elderly to infections. Chinese Medical Journal. September 2012; 125(18): 3325-31.
- Arvela, E. Dick, F. Surveillance after distal revascularization for critical limb ischaemia. Scandinavian Journal of Surgery: SJS. 2012; 101(2): 119-24. Review. PubMed PMID: 22623445. Full Text Link.
- Gordon, AL. Logan, PA. Jones, RG. [et al]. A systematic mapping review of Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) in care homes. BMC Geriatrics. June 25th 2012; 12(1): 31. [Epub ahead of print]. Full Text Link.
- van den Berg N, Schumann M, Kraft K, Hoffmann W. Telemedicine and telecare for older patients: a systematic review. Maturitas. October 2012; 73(2): 94-114.
- Hall, WJ. Telemonitoring did not reduce hospitalizations or ED visits in high-risk elderly patients. Annals of Internal Medicine. September 18th 2012; 157(6): JC3-8.
- Hamaker, ME. Vos, AG. Smorenburg, CH. [et al]. The value of geriatric assessments in predicting treatment tolerance and all-cause mortality in older patients with cancer. Oncologist. August 31st 2012. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gelis, A. Pariel, S. Colin, D. [et al]. What is the role of TPE in management of patients at risk or with pressure ulcer as of 2012? Towards development of French guidelines for clinical practice. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. September 17th 2012. pii: S1877-0657(12)01228-6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Liu, B. Dion, MR. Jurasic, MM. [et al]. Xerostomia and salivary hypofunction in vulnerable elders: prevalence and etiology. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics. July 2012; 114(1): 52-60.