[A version of this item features in Dementia: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust), Volume 3 Issue 4, November 2012].
Proposed changes to the NHS Constitution included in a consultation launched on November 5th 2012, include:
- Openness: a new right for patients to receive acknowledgement, an explanation and an apology when mistakes have occurred.
- End of life care: a new right stipulating that patients, their families and carers should be involved in EOL discussions and decisions.
- Complaints: a new right for complaints to be acknowledged within three days, and stronger rights on how complaints are handled.
- Single sex accommodation: a pledge about what patients can expect.
- Abusive and violent patients: an obligation on patients, making it clear that such patients could be denied access to NHS services, where safe to do so.