This SCIE Report No.63, entitled “Improving personal budgets for older people: a research overview”, examines the evidence from UK research between 2007 and 2012 concerning the implementation and uptake of personal budgets and direct payments for older people.
It identifies the challenges (and solutions) when attempting to improve choice and control for older people, including the implementation of data and systems suitable for handling direct payments for people with dementia. The main sections in this report cover:
- Direct payments for older people: findings pre-dating personal budgets.
- Independent living and older people: culture and system change.
- Making choices and decisions.
- Information and advice.
- Direct payment support services.
- Understanding allowance and spend.
- Budget management, monitoring and review.
- Risk management and contingency planning.
- Continuity and consistency.
- Older people living with dementia: data and systems.
Carr, S. (2013). SCIE Report 63: Improving personal budgets for older people: a research overview. London: Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE), January 2013. Adults’ Services SCIE Report 63.