This report aims to ensure support for carers receives a high priority from CCGs. Supporting carers’ wellbeing can minimise costs and reduce overall spending in the NHS. Supporting carers helps commissioners meet their other required outcomes. The main section headings in this report comprise:
- Why support carers?
- Meeting commissioning outcomes.
- Reducing the amount of time spent in hospital by people with long-term conditions.
- Tackling health inequalities.
- Improving the care of people with dementia.
- Improving the quality of life of people with long-term conditions and help people recover from illness.
- Ensuring people have a positive experience of care and are protected from harm.
- Tools to support commissioners identify needs and develop services for carers.
- About Carers Trust.
- Further information.
Commissioning for carers: key principles for clinical commissioning groups. London: Carers Trust, July 2013.
[A brief reference to this item features in Dementia and Elderly Care: the Latest Evidence Newsletter (RWNHST), Volume 3 Issue 9, August 2013].