The annual Department of Health’s corporate plan has been updated online. It defines priorities for the year ahead, and explains how the department will deliver the Secretary of State’s strategic objectives.
The Secretary of State plans to improve the treatment and care of people with dementia, placing the UK “among the best in Europe through early diagnosis, better research and better support”.
The quality of life of people with dementia, and of their carers, will be promoted by improving health and care, the development of “dementia friendly” communities and the joint ESRC / NIHR call for research on living well with dementia. Progress on the Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia continues.
Full Text Link (Online)
Department of Health 2013-14 corporate plan (updated). London: Department of Health, October 2nd 2013.
The main sections comprise:
- Department of Health ministers, non-executive directors and leadership team.
- Department of Health’s Purpose, Responsibilities, Vision, Values.
- Department of Health overarching priorities.
- Department of Health themes.
- Department of Health priorities.
- Department of Health roadmap for the year ahead.
- Resources: Outline.
- Department of Health resources: more detail.
- Department of Health achievements in 2012-13.
- Department of Health arm’s length bodies.
- Departmental leaders explain the roles of their directorates (with video).
- Annex A.
- Annex B: Performance against milestones for quarter 1.
NHS England’s £50m Innovations Commissioning Fund Cancelled (BBC News)
The £50m innovations commissioning fund for specialised services, announced two months ago, has been cancelled by NHS England.
Lobel, M. (2013). New rare treatments fund scrapped. London: BBC Health News, October 15th 2013.
New Chief Executive of NHS England
Simon Stevens is to be the new Chief Executive of NHS England, and will take over from Sir David Nicholson on April 1st 2014.
Simon Stevens Appointed as new Chief Executive of NHS England. London: NHS England, October 24th 2013.
Triggle, N. (2014). What’s in the new NHS boss’s in-tray? London: BBC Health News, April 1st 2014.
Triggle, N. (2014). NHS facing biggest ever challenge, says new boss. London: BBC Health News, April 1st 2014.
Clinical and Financial Engagement (Department of Health)
The following guide examines approaches to improving levels of engagement between clinical and financial employees in NHS provider organisations. It is designed to address the lessons identified in the Report of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Enquiry by Robert Francis QC; namely cultures of “silo working”, poor cost control and poor patient care which compromises patient safety.
Effective clinical and financial engagement: a best practice guide for the NHS. London: Department of Health, November 7th 2013.