This updated mandate describes the renewed ambitions for the health service, for the period 2013 – 2015. As with previous editions, it is structured around the five key areas where NHS England (previously called the NHS Commissioning Board) is expected to make improvements:
- Preventing people from dying prematurely.
- Enhancing quality of life for people with long-term conditions.
- Helping people to recover from episodes of ill-health or after injuries.
- Ensuring people have a positive experience of care.
- Treating and caring for people in a safe environment and protecting them from avoidable harm.
“The Mandate reaffirms the government’s commitment to an NHS that remains comprehensive and universal – available to all, based on clinical need and not ability to pay – and that is able to meet patients’ needs and expectations now and in the future”.
Read more: The NHS Mandate.
The NHS Mandate. London: Department of Health, November 12th 2013.
The Mandate: a mandate from the Government to the NHS Commissioning Board: April 2013 to March 2015. London: Department of Health, November 12th 2013.