NHS England has a statutory responsibility to promote research, according to the NHS Constitution (2013), the Health and Social Care Act (2012) and the Mandate to NHS England.
NHS England has released a draft research and development strategy. The closing date for this consultation closes on January 30th 2014. The Research and Development Strategy aims to:
- Support high quality commissioning backed by research and innovation.
- Support NHS England as an excellent organisation, encouraging a culture which values and promotes research and innovation.
- Create an evidence-based decision making culture.
- Ensure NHS England’s research is patient-centred.
- Offer patients the opportunity to take part in research.
- Contribute to economic growth.
NHS England Research and Development Strategy Consultation. London: NHS England, January 2014.
Minogue, V. (2013). Research and Development Strategy (DRAFT) 2013 – 2018: research is everybody’s business. London: NHS England, December 2013. Gateway Reference: 00894.