The GP Access Fund, intended to make it easier for people to access their GPs during evenings or weekends, and/or to contact them remotely by phone, email and Skype, could benefit over seven million patients (a higher number than originally planned).
Around 1,147 surgeries are to take part in the £50m GP Access Fund, launched in late 2013, designed to extend access to GPs outside normal hours. The initiative is also known as the “Prime Minister’s GP Access Fund”, and has also been referred to as the “PM Challenge Fund”.
“These plans represent the start of a fundamental shift in care from hospital to home, in which people will be given more on-going support to better manage conditions in the community rather than being admitted to hospital”.
GP opening hours scheme ‘to benefit seven million patients’. London: BBC Health News, April 14th 2014.
This relates to:
Millions to benefit from improved GP care. London: Department of Health, April 14th 2014.
Prime Minister’s Challenge Fund. London: NHS England, April 2014.
About the PM Challenge Fund Pilots. London: NHS England, April 2014.
The latter page lists the 20 pilots:
- Better Access, Better Care, Better Standards (Barking & Dagenham and Havering & Redbridge).
- Better Together (Workington).
- Caring for Darlington Beyond Tomorrow.
- Easy GP Project (Bury).
- Extended Primary Integrated Care (Brighton and Hove).
- Extending Access to Primary Care (Southwark).
- Health United (Birmingham).
- Improving Access, Supporting Primary Care Integration and Whole System Change (Herefordshire).
- Integrated South Kent Coast (Folkestone and Dover).
- Moving Primary Care to a Wellbeing Approach (West Wakefield).
- One Care Consortium (Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset).
- Opening Doors: Aligning and Integrating Health and Care Services (Morecambe).
- Primary Care Home (Warrington).
- Shaping Services to Meet Community Needs (Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly).
- Steps to the Future (Slough).
- Together as One Community (Hambleton, Richmondshire, Whitby).
- Transformational Innovations for Primary Care in West Hertfordshire (Watford).
- Transforming Access to General Practice (North West London).
- Transforming General Practice (Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire).
- Transforming the Access Experience at Scale Across England (The Care UK Super Practice).