Carers’ Week 2015 falls between June 8th – 14th 2015.
PSNC has produced a “Support for carers: how community pharmacy teams can help” briefing, which covers the roles carers play in supporting both patients and the NHS. This document covers how community pharmacy teams can better assist carers. Template leaflets are available to help pharmacy contractors to advise carers about the services which they offer.
Support for carers: how community pharmacy teams can help. London: PSNC, February 2015. PSNC Briefing 001/15.
Carer Support-Related Developments From NHS England
NHS England has been commissioning services and new models of care to support carers.
“Evidence is mounting that by supporting carers, we can not only improve outcomes but also reduce emergency admissions and delay or even prevent the need for institutional care. The new models of care provide us with a brilliant opportunity to extend our ambitions for carers and demonstrate how, by targeting early intervention to those carers who need it, we can benefit patients, carers, the NHS and social care”.
We must recognise the vital contribution of carers. London: NHS England, June 10th 2015.
There are recognised Commissioning for Carers Principles:
- Principle 1: Think Carer, Think Family; Make Every Contact Count.
- Principle 2: Support what works for carers, share and learn from others.
- Principle 3: Right care, right time, right place for carers.
- Principle 4: Measure what matters to carers.
- Principle 5: Support for carers depends on partnership working.
- Principle 6: Leadership for carers at all levels.
- Principle 7: Train staff to identify and support carers.
- Principle 8: Prioritise carers’ health and wellbeing.
- Principle 9: Invest in carers to sustain and save.
- Principle 10: Support carers to access local resources.
Commissioning for Carers Principles. London: NHS England, 2014 / 2015.
“England’s five and a half million carers make a critical and under-appreciated contribution not only to loved ones, neighbours and friends, but to the very sustainability of the NHS in England”.
Moving beyond a commitment to carers – Dr Martin McShane. London: NHS England, June 10th 2015.
Supporting carers is at the heart of NHS England – Neil Churchill. London: NHS England, June 11th 2015.