Violence and aggression towards hospital staff is estimated to cost £69m a year (in staff absence, loss of productivity and additional security). The following updated NICE guidance offers recommendations (including suggestions for further research) on the prevention of violent situations, with particular reference to the following topics:
- Anticipating and reducing the risk of violence and aggression.
- Preventing violence and aggression.
- Using restrictive interventions in inpatient psychiatric settings.
- Managing violence and aggression in emergency departments.
- Managing violence and aggression in community and primary care settings.
- Managing violence and aggression in children and young people.
Violence and aggression: short-term management in mental health, health and community settings. NICE Guideline: NG10. London: NICE, May 28th 2015.