The NHS Choice Framework clarifies patients’ rights about their choices / options regarding their healthcare, including how / where to find information to help them choose, and how to complain when choices are not available.
The NHS Choice Framework: what choices are available to me in the NHS? London: Department of Health, April 29th 2016.
Section headings comprise:
- My NHS care: what choices are available?
- Choosing your GP and GP practice.
- Choosing where to go for your first appointment as an outpatient.
- Asking to change hospital if you have to wait longer than the maximum waiting times (18 weeks, or 2 weeks to see a specialist for cancer).
- Choosing who carries out a specialist test.
- Choosing maternity services.
- Choosing services provided in the community.
- Choosing to take part in health research.
- Choosing to have a personal health budget.
- Choosing to access required treatment in another European Economic Area country.
- Where can I get more information to help me choose?
- What should I do if I require a reasonable adjustment?
- Contacting the organisations mentioned in this guide.