Health Education England, Skills for Health and Skills for Care have produced an update to the “Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework” regarding personalised care and support for people living with dementia. The re-titled version includes sections covering food, drink and oral health.
The new “Dementia Training Standards Framework” aims to help ensure quality and consistency in dementia education and training, while facilitating differentiation between the relative quality of different services.
Full Text Link (Note: Access to this document may require free registration).
Dementia Training Standards Framework. London: Health Education England, Skills for Health and Skills for Care, August 2018.
Section headings and appendices comprise:
- Subject 1: Dementia awareness.
- Subject 2: Dementia identification, assessment and diagnosis.
- Subject 3: Dementia risk reduction and prevention.
- Subject 4: Person-centred dementia care.
- Subject 5: Communication, interaction and behaviour in dementia care.
- Subject 6: Health and well-being in dementia care.
- Subject 7: Pharmacological interventions in dementia care.
- Subject 8: Living well with dementia and promoting independence.
- Subject 9: Families and carers as partners in dementia care.
- Subject 10: Equality diversity and inclusion in dementia care.
- Subject 11: Law, ethics and safeguarding in dementia care.
- Subject 12: End of life dementia care.
- Subject 13: Research and evidence-based practice in dementia care.
- Subject 14: Leadership in transforming dementia care.
- Appendix 1: Sources of further guidance and information.
- Appendix 2: User Guide.
- Appendix 3: Comparison of the Dementia Training Standards Framework with the HEE commissioned dementia education standards for curricula design.
- Appendix 4: Related standards and frameworks.
- Appendix 5: Links to the social care qualification framework.
- Appendix 6: Suggested standards for training delivery.
- Appendix 7: Proposed frequency of refresher training or assessment.
- Appendix 8: General references.
- Appendix 9: Nutrition, hydration and oral health references.