Medical students and doctors are obliged to make the patient safety their first concern; and this applies similarly to the organisations involved in medical education and training. The General Medical Council (GMC)’s “Promoting Excellence: Standards for Medical Education and Training”, covering undergraduate and postgraduate medical education and training, has elevated patient safety to the top priority. The main section headings comprise:
- About these standards.
- Patient safety is the first priority.
- The ten standards.
- Theme 1: Learning environment and culture.
- Theme 2: Educational governance and leadership.
- Theme 3: Supporting learners.
- Theme 4: Supporting educators.
- Theme 5: Developing and implementing curricula and assessments.
Promoting excellence: standards for medical education and training. London: General Medical Council (GMC), July 23rd 2015.